Choosing a worship setlist
These are a few questions I ask myself when putting together a song list for Sunday morning.
- Trinitarian (is it about the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit?)
- Congregational (can it be sung by many people, or only an individual?)
- Truthful (does it say right things about God?)
- Affectionate (Can people express themselves through the song? FYI, this may include my grief)
- Catchy (see #2)
- Narrative (does the entire setlist tell a story?)
- Unifying (does it work with the sermon?)
- Prophetic (is it for our local gathering?)
- Dynamic (is it boring, tedious, or mundane? In other words, will it MELT YOUR FACE OFF!)
- Rich (is the content befitting a King?)
(The ones in italics are variable)
Any thoughts on song choice for worship gatherings? I hear from worship leaders on this, but rarely from the congregation themselves (or preachers, for that matter).
Posted on June 29, 2011, in worship and tagged choosing a worship setlist, Congregational, Contemporary worship, how to put together a worship setlist, set list, setlist, worship, worship set list, worship setlist. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.